Choosing A Treatment Center
Because treatment is essential to helping your loved one recover, it's important to consider several factors when selecting a facility. From intake to long-term aftercare, the treatment center programs, people, and therapies will help your loved one attain their recovery goals and enable them to maintain sobriety. While planning the intervention, we will help the group members decide on a facility that meets the needs of their loved one. VIP Recovery will travel across the United States to plan, stage, and help with treatment intake.
What Factors to Consider?
When thinking about how to help your loved one recover, there are several things to consider. Before selecting a place based on amenities, some of the biggest things to consider are the structure of the treatment programs. This includes if you want an inpatient, outpatient, residential treatment, or recovery housing/sober living. The differences between each type of program include:
- Inpatient Treatment – An individual lives in a hospital type setting to receive help, structure, and guidance on recovery.
- Outpatient Treatment – An individual lives at home but attends regular therapy and treatment sessions.
- Residential Treatment – An individual lives in a non-hospital setting while receiving structured care.
- Recovery Housing – An individual lives in supervised, temporary housing and attends treatment programs.
We can help develop a strategy and determine what would work best for your loved one. In most cases, we usually recommend an inpatient treatment center. Generally, these types of programs best meet the needs of your loved one and help them learn how to maintain long-term success. Whatever treatment type you decide on, we will continue advocating and supporting your loved one throughout the process.
What Questions to Ask
After deciding on the type of program structure, it's important to ask and consider a few questions based on what your loved one needs. Everyone has very different requirements when it comes to the type of care and what works best for them. Some people respond better to different therapies or program structures. When asking questions, here are some things to consider, including how they measure success, manage relapse, and determine the expectations of the family members.
- Measuring success
- How do counselors track the individual's recovery process?
- What factors do you consider to determine if treatment was a success?
- Do you have statistics on your patients' long-term success?
- Do you have a sample treatment plan?
- How do you supervise patients?
- Managing relapse
- If a patient relapses, what happens?
- Is the patient dismissed if they relapse?
- If they relapse, do you have staff qualified to handle the issue?
- Expectations of the family members
- How do I help while my loved one is in rehab?
- Does your facility have a rights and responsibilities contract?
Choosing a Treatment Center Treatment Center Checklist
To ensure the program maintains quality care and has all the correct licensing, we have a list of items to consider and research before enrolling your loved one at the facility. This list is based on information from the National Center of Addiction and Substance Abuse. The National Center of Addiction and Substance Abuse recommends:
- Researching who oversees the care and their experience with managing substance use disorder
- Reviewing the range of treatment types they offer and the effectiveness
- Learning if the treatment center offers mental healthcare services or medications
- Determining if the program is licensed and accredited
- Checking to see if a full-time addiction medicine physician or psychiatrist is on staff
- Discussing what happens if a patient relapses
Therapies and Amenities
After considering the questions and checklists, you may want to consider the different types of therapies and amenities the facility offers. Some places, like Touchstone Ranch Recovery Center, have therapies that allow an individual to work with animals. Depending on your loved one, these specialized types of therapies could help them learn how to apply positive behavior to different situations and help with the overall recovery process. From the treatment plans to information about relapses, it's important to holistically consider the treatment center and determine if what they offer works best for your loved one.
Recovering With Support
A proper treatment program is essential for your loved one's recovery. During recovery, a treatment center helps the individual safely detox, provides important therapies, and teaches the individual about positive and healthy habits for maintaining sobriety. At VIP Recovery, we can travel throughout the United States to plan, stage, and develop the best treatment plan for your loved one. Part of planning an intervention includes discussing a potential treatment center that works best for your loved one's conditions. Please call us today for additional information. A caring VIP Recovery team member is here to help you navigate through the next steps.